First News Live! - The weekly newspaper for young people

Is it unfair to ban all parents from sports days, or is the school right?

5th July 2019

BEING banned from sports day is occasionally used as a punishment for a pupil, but one school in Wales has just banned every single parent from all future sports days!

Sheena Duggan, the head teacher at Pentrebane Primary School in Cardiff, sent a letter to parents at the end of June. “Unfortunately, over the last number of years, the behaviour of adults attending sports days has worsened,” she wrote, adding that some angry parents “can be threatening and intimidating” and had sworn at teachers while pupils were nearby.

Mrs Duggan said that the problem was with a “small minority” of parents, but some who contacted the BBC said it wasn’t fair to ban everyone just because a small number of adults had behaved badly. What do you think? Is it a fair decision? Let us know by taking part in our poll, and leave a comment to let us know what you think of parents’ behaviour at your sports days.

Is it unfair to ban all parents from sports days, or is the school right?

ninjakiwi · 3 months ago

FIRST TO COMMENT

toffeedogs · 3 months ago

I think it's unfair to ban ALL parents i think they should only ban the ones who are being rude, I mean would they ban all pupils.

asbml · 3 months ago

This is not fair. They should give personal bans as only a few are bad behaved.
The parents who have done nothing wrong don't deserve to have the ban and not being able to watch the children.

chahou · 3 months ago

Most parents can not help the fact that they have been told to go to sports day because they have done nothing wrong.

Mog18 · 3 months ago

yes it is right. Loads of parents pressure their children to win stuff, the school system is messed up enough already. We really need to fix it. Anyway, it's right. sure they could only ban the one's being overbearing, but that's too specific.

flybee · 3 months ago

I think that it’s definitely unfair to ban
adults from this kind of event. It only happens once a year, and it’s a great chance for children to bond with their parents.

comet182 · 3 months ago

I disagree with the banning strongly.
Personally, I love it when my parents and family attend my sports days,as they support me and make me feel proud,even if I lose.
Just because some of the parents decided to behave wrongly,they shouldn't ban all parents from coming,as it has an affect on us,too.

wightbike · 3 months ago

In my opinion only the parents who are being not well behaved should be banned not all because sports day is a chance to see how your child is doing at sports :)

stampyfan1 · 3 months ago

I think the parents who have said anything bad should be banned but not the others

artymartin · 3 months ago

I agree with asbml it is unfair.

9dolphin · 3 months ago

I think it is right as there is pressure on the children. They could easily ban just one parent but that would target the parent and the child and everyone at school would know that it was that child’s parent which then singles the child out.

witchygirl · 3 months ago

I think that parents should be allowed to come because people who find sport harder might need someone whom they know to cheer them on and give them confidence.

xx_tan_xx · 3 months ago

I think it is fair because if only a few parents got banned their children would be upset to see others parents but no their own on sports day.

articwolfy · 3 months ago

No, its not right to ban them as they want to encourage their child to do their best. It is also comforting so they know someone is cheering them on so they have belief they can win. Its a bit overwhelming but they know someone is their for them.

tdmforever · 3 months ago

It’s unfair because the parents just stand while you’re having fun

mufcisfab · 3 months ago

They should get their behaviour correct next time

patimus · 3 months ago

Personally, I think that the school shouldn't ban the parents as children might get upset if they have no one to cheer them on.

rbs13 · 3 months ago

I think that it is unfair to ban all the parents from sports day because only a few behaved badly. Most of the parents would have wanted to come and support all the children and encourage them. I think the school should ban only the parents that were rude

emeve · 3 months ago

It's unfair and it's actually against Geneva Convention for human rights to do collective punishment.

cotton77 · 3 months ago

It is unfair as the parents like to watch the pupils in the races and it would be quite sad if they weren't allowed to see them participate.

jesusrules · 3 months ago

they should have a zero tolerance rule and that if they are behaving badly the teachers should individually ban them forever.

kuhuzoo9 · 3 months ago

It’s unfair to ban all parents from sports day. They should just ban those who were being rude.

camerong · 3 months ago

As only a few parents have misbehaved, i think it's unfair that ALL parents have to be banned; the parents that have been sensible should be allowed to go.

lfcrules · 3 months ago

It’s unfair because some parents haven’t done anything and they’re still getting punished. Why can’t they ban only the parents that behave badly?

izzylottie · 3 months ago

It's so unfair!

heh · 3 months ago

Why do you have to ban parents anyway? They have a right to watch their kids have fun! They should be able to have fun with their kids, and if they do anything that is 'not to your liking' then that's something you have to sort out between yourselves. Some parents rarely get a chance to see their kids play, so you should let them.

catonclan · 2 months ago

I agree with banning some parents from sport day for being plain rude and rather pushy. However this does not mean that those parents who are not behaving badly should suffer from those parents behaviour.

annabel07 · 2 months ago

This is unfair because parents go to watch their children and be proud-it is the whole reason of sports day. if all parent were banned sports day would not be the same.

thehkh · 2 months ago

I think it is fair to ban all parents from sports day. The school can't ban certain parents. Parents can be very rude towards other children so, I agree with what the head teacher says. There are no problems with parents at my school's sports days.

wimpykid · 2 months ago

I think it's unfair because only SOME parents are being rude. If the majority of the parents were being rude then banning the parrnts is a good idea but only SOME parents are being rude so you shouldn't ban ALL parents. Right?

ballet2006 · 2 months ago

Only the rude parents should be punished not all the childrens parents in the school . Also children will want to be encouraged by there parents this could also make the children less nervous with someone always by their side and cheering for them : )

corosont · 2 months ago

I love well behaved parents and picnics!!

witchygirl · 2 months ago

Parents should not be banned because then they cannot cheer their children on if the child needs self confidence.

witchygirl · 2 months ago

Actually, scratch that. It is confusing.

daisy101 · 2 months ago

If certain parents are not acting in the way they should, it would be hard to ban them all

anb12495 · 2 months ago

This is so unfair. Why should everyone have to suffer

sammyboy · 2 months ago

adults do sports day in my school

unicornca · 2 months ago

Of course it's unfair. Like who does that? What's the point of sports day with no parents to watch you??

ameliau · 2 months ago

It is very unfair.

rights123 · 2 months ago

It's unfair because parents wanna watch there children do well.#unfair

dog1000 · 1 month ago

I think that not ALL parents should be banned from sports day- only the ones causing all of the rudeness . Many parents come to sports day to motivate and support their child; I know my parents do !! So why would you punish all parents for something that the majority have nothing to do with ?
-dog1000

5honypony · 3 days ago

I would not like it because I like to show my parents what I have achieved in sports. Also, without parents it would literally just be a race for me

×