Do girls dislike hard maths?

5th May 2022

A GOVERNMENT adviser says girls don’t study A-level physics because they don’t like “hard maths”.

Katharine Birbalsingh, who is also a head teacher, said: “I just think they don’t like it. There’s a lot of hard maths in there that I think they would rather not do.”

Her comment sparked outrage among scientists, with many saying it was upsetting, outdated and not true.

Ms Birbalsingh later tweeted that the comment wasn’t meant in the way it came across, posting: “It is OK if we don’t have an exact gender balance in all subjects.”

Do girls dislike hard maths?

aim072012 · 2 weeks ago

Some girls do dislike hard maths and some love hard maths, it depends on the girl's opinion and how much she tries to learn maths. I love any type of maths and when times get tough I try again and then ask for help.

coolcats · 2 weeks ago

No and it is extremely wrong to say this. Maybe the majority dislike it but that may be because they have no one to look up to as everyone is saying, 'girls cannot do hard maths.' This is wrong. xx

bunk123 · 2 weeks ago

This is unfair and steriotipic they should do something about this as it is unfair

ddopinion · 2 weeks ago

No definitely all girls are different and just because of your gender doesn’t mean your the same!

puddingfan · 2 weeks ago

I think that girls don’t take physics because they don’t have enough female role models in this category - not because they can’t be bothered.

smudge99 · 2 weeks ago

Some do, but so do some boys. In my school it's usually boys who people think don't like maths.

candyapple · 2 weeks ago

Personally, I don't especially like hard maths, but there are loads of girls in my class who do love it. I prefer English!

dottypop1 · 1 week ago

It's not just girl's who dislike hard maths boy's can to and I like a challenge in math's as a girl. And it is wrong to say this because they're aren't not meany female role models in this category. And just because they don't study it it doesn't mean that they don't like it.

jumpybunny · 1 week ago

There's many more reasons why girls are less likely to take physics than boys. This is just a huge generalisation and isn't very helpful to try and get more girls to take physics.

loldoll20 · 1 week ago

Bruh who are these people and what do they know. They’re grown ups! Plus the person who said girls hate hard maths WAS A GIRL. Seriously 😒 I adore hard maths and that’s just kind of sexist.