Are you pleased Boris Johnson has resigned as prime minister?

7th July 2022

The prime minister resigned on the steps of 10 Downing Street today.

Boris Johnson made it clear that he didn’t want to step down from the job but hadn’t been able to persuade other members of the Government that he should stay. He said it was “painful” and he was sad “to be giving up the best job in the world” but would stay on until a new prime minister is appointed.

The pressure had been building on Boris Johnson since Tuesday when Chancellor Rishi Sunak and Health Secretary Sajid Javid resigned from the prime minister’s top table of Government – the cabinet.

After that, nearly 60 more Government ministers also quit their jobs.

The Government ministers felt they couldn’t support the prime minister after a series of scandals. The latest was Boris Johnson giving a senior job to an MP who had been accused of assaulting people in a club. Before this, Boris Johnson had already been facing a lot of bad headlines, including criticisms over parties held at Downing Street during the Covid lockdowns. The PM was fined for breaking the law after going to one of the parties.

In his resignation speech, the prime minister said he was proud of the achievements of the Government and that it would continue to back people in Ukraine fighting for their freedom.

What happens next?

Boris Johnson’s political party, the Conservatives, have to appoint a new leader who will become prime minister. This is because the Conservative Party had the most MPs elected in the last general election and will remain in Government until the next election is held.

How will they choose the new prime minister?

Conservative MPs can put themselves forward for the job and then there are a series of votes by other Conservative MPs. In each round, the person with the smallest number of votes drops out until there are only two people left.

The final two are then voted on by all Conservative Party members – not just MPs.

The whole process can take around six weeks.

People being tipped to become prime minister include Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi; the person who had the job before him, Rishi Sunak; Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab; International Trade Secretary Penny Mordaunt; Defence Secretary Ben Wallace; Foreign Secretary Liz Truss and former Health Secretary Sajid Javid.

Make sure to leave your thoughts in a comment below!

Are you pleased Boris Johnson has resigned as prime minister?

bluecat18 · 1 month ago

I am not pleased that Boris has resigned because that just leads the government into a deeper hole after Rishi Sunak's resignation.

plopbecker · 1 month ago

He held a party while others were suffering indoors losing family members. Unacceptable!

robro · 1 month ago

Yes, as hopefully the country will become a better place and I think that is the right time for him to step down.

marthajja · 1 month ago

I do think this should've happened earlier as he has broken quite a few of his own rules but it was the right thing to do to resign now.

ivansp2011 · 1 month ago

Even though he did make a few positive changes in the British society, he shows himself as a hypocrite. Forcing people into lockdown whilst having a party himself was not a very reasonable and practical thing to do. Also, we need help in our country as well, so we should spend more on our country, as well as Ukraine.

mistywater · 1 month ago

Yes! Absolutely!

catlover15 · 1 month ago

I think it it ridiculous of him to put rules in place to KEEP US SAFE and then break those rules himself, putting the entire country at risk. I think it was right to put pressure on him to step down.

snowbear · 1 month ago

I am very pleased Borris has resgined from being prime minister because he couldn't be trusted to tell the truth and he was just not fit for the job.

hee-bee · 1 month ago

I am pleased because he is not fit for his job anymore. There is no point having a PM that you don’t trust.

komalshaik · 4 weeks ago

ITS GOOD THAT HE HAS RESINGED BECAUSE WHEN WE WHERE ISOLATING FROM OUR FAMILYS ' HE WAS PARTYING!!!

mangogirl1 · 4 weeks ago

I am pleased because all the lies and issues were getting too much.

micrad · 4 weeks ago

I think that it was brilliant that Mr Johnson resigned because I dislike that he was partying while everyone was stuck at home and that his policies have not helped struggling families during the cost of living rise.

lig · 4 weeks ago

I think he should not of resigned, he should of just mended his ways and carried on, instead of resigning because now the government have to go to the trouble to find another prime minister.

yikes · 4 weeks ago

Yes, as it was party house for Boris Johnson during covid.

yashnadh · 4 weeks ago

While Boris had made some bad decisions over the past, he was there for us during the rollout of covid jabs during 2020 2021. When he resigned, he left us with a larger problem than we had before as we have no official political leader now.

squidsplat · 3 weeks ago

Yes, I am pleased. Boris Johnson's 'issues' were getting out of hand. It is time for him to step down.

aces10 · 3 weeks ago

Most of the time, if a prime minister made a big mistake then they would resign. Boris has made so many mistakes, and refused to give up his job. I mean, having a party and breaking his own rules - he’s finally made the right decision.

[email protected] · 3 weeks ago

so am I pleased that he resigned

cjlion · 3 weeks ago

I'm not into politics but I'm glad he resigned.👩‍💼

gkoc · 3 weeks ago

I don’t want Boris to resign because he broke his own rules AND I just don’t want him (I hope I’m in the actual paper)

piggypip · 3 weeks ago

I think that Boris did the right thing by resigning because he was being selfish by trying to stay in power when his party didn't believe in him.

athenakid · 2 weeks ago

Ok. Boris supporter can change their mind! Boris is a horrible human being and should not have to be tolerated! Especially as the leader of the stinking country! 😑

max1234 · 2 weeks ago

Yes because he did do some unpredictable things. He had parties in Lockdown, and only last week he cancelled a meeting only to do a leaving party. He could leave it for another time and he is supposed to be a responsible adult, not a adult with a childish habit of going to parties.

max1234 · 2 weeks ago

Boris Johnson is supposed to be RESPONSIBLE, not a adult-ish child who goes to parties.

annalls · 2 weeks ago

Even though I voted that I am pleased, it causes a lot of trouble with re-voting and stuff like that but also he did bad things and lied to get out of bad situations.

annalls · 2 weeks ago

I also think that as he had the garden party, he shouldn't have made that rule. At least the party was outside though. If it was indoors he would have been in even deeper trouble. DON'T MAKE RULES THAT YOU CAN'T KEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lovelymrj · 1 week ago

He did not follow his own rules

uniquestar · 6 days ago

I feel like it has come to a point where most people can't trust Boris Johnson

puncho1567 · 4 days ago

Yes I am pleased to see the PM resign he is not fit to run this country, he breaks his own rules, he just can't be trusted, I really hope the next PM will be better

stingray1 · 3 days ago

Yes because he was untrustworthy and told a lot of lies!