Are you happy to go back to school?

29th May 2020

Schools across England remain on track to open to more children from Monday (1 June), the prime minister said last weekend.

During lockdown, only the children of key workers have been in classrooms. The final decision was due to be made yesterday (Thursday) for more children to get back to school, if five Government tests about safety were met.

There has been lots of disagreement and not everyone is on board with the Government’s plan. Wales’ education minister, Kirsty Williams, said schools there would not reopen from 1 June, with no date yet set. In Scotland, Deputy First Minister John Swinney said schools will not return until 11 August.

In England, the plan is for primary schools to welcome back children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 6 from next week. As long as everything is going to plan, it’s expected that secondary schools will follow from 15 June, with face-to-face contact for Year 10s and Year 12s to help them prepare for exams next year.

Some schools across the country have said they may not be ready to reopen immediately, so children could be returning at different times in different areas. Some parents, especially those who might live with their own elderly parents, can choose not to send their kids to school. The Government has said parents won’t be fined for keeping their children at home due to safety concerns around the coronavirus pandemic.

The Department for Education has said how it thinks schools can open in a way which is safe for children, teachers and parents.

This includes:

• reducing the size of classes and keeping children in small “bubble” groups without mixing with others
  • having different break and lunch times, as well as drop-offs and pick-ups
  • more cleaning
  • reducing the use of shared items
  • using outdoor space for lessons where schools can
  • not travelling to school on public transport if possible

All children and staff – and their families – will be able to have COVID-19 tests if they display symptoms. This means children and staff can get back to school if they test negative.

Education Secretary Gavin Williamson said: “This has been a difficult time for the entire country. Education and childcare staff have stepped up to the challenge, making sure children and young people have continued to be supported throughout the past ten weeks.”

But he says concerns about the welfare of children in difficult situations, and the need for all children to get the best education possible, means he wants to start a slow return to school.

Are you happy to go back to school?

rainbow8 · 2 months ago

I am happy about this decision as it means we can work with much more experienced people at school. It is also good as we are now waking up quite late, this is not good for our health!
#first to comment!

rainbow8 · 2 months ago

The vote is 50% 50%!

cookie2187 · 2 months ago

I am happy to go back to school, as we are free from distractions and have a proper schedule to the day. Also, it would be great to see our friends again and get help from qualified teachers.

ameliau · 2 months ago

I voted No. I voted No because although I like seeing my friends again and being and school is more fun. I also sometimes suffer from anxiety and I find it much easier for me to be in a quiet spot. I think I prefer it at home because I am concentrating much better and do not have to be anxious on the amount of noise. I would prefer if my class would have less noisy people in it. It probably will because after we go back if the social distancing rules are still around we will probably split the class into half. Thank you very much.

My vote is NO.

stargrl · 2 months ago

We still haven't beat the virus. I think we should wait until Christmas. Its sad but true. I want to go back but I cant. I could infect people accidentally. 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

radishes10 · 2 months ago

If some social distancing measures are still working in school, I think it's much better for student's mental health and education to be back there. However if someone doesn't want to at the moment for health reasons they should be able to stay home and carry on with online learning.

jweazl · 2 months ago

I really miss my school - I want to be able to see my friends more, and I'm worried that I'll fall behind in class - but I would not feel comfortable going back to school in these worrying circumstances anytime soon.

saxophone7 · 2 months ago

I am not going back to school because my mum has a health condition. Nearly all of my friends are going back to school on Monday (I am in year 6) but me and a handful of my friends are staying home. We would have done a production and a leavers assembly but now we won't and it is really disappointing. I will miss my friends who are going to a different high school than me as I won't get to see them this year :'(

5honypony · 2 months ago

Second to comment!

5honypony · 2 months ago

And also, I think as I am one of the years going back to school on June 1st, I am looking forward to seeing my teachers and friends :)

piggyo5 · 2 months ago

I'm really excited to go back to school, as I have only seen my friends through a screen which doesn't have the same affect as when you actually see them face to face. Also, it is my last year at primary school, and I wouldn't want to go off to secondary without seeing all my friends first.

opalstar · 2 months ago

😕 I do not Know ? Is it safe yet? Someone tell me plz.🤗

larabass123 · 2 months ago

I am very happy about returning to school because I miss the support from my teachers and friends.

bench · 2 months ago

I am happy to go back to school because we can see all our friends from a safe distance!

dragon13 · 2 months ago

I would be happy although I am at high school because since our school only opened a year ago it is normally super empty and we only have Year 7 and 8.

mhkmal · 2 months ago

If I go to school and catch COVID-19 I could pass it to my grandparents and make they ill and I don't want that to happen.

x_fnx · 2 months ago

I have GCSE exams coming up, but still wouldn’t feel that it isn’t safe to go back to school, as my parents are carers for their elderly parents and i don’t want to pass anything on to them.

cocopoppy · 2 months ago

I wouldn't be happy to go to school because what is your friends have Covid-19? Or you have it and pass it onto your friends? Plus, you wont be able to hug your friends and you will be split up in classes of 15! I strongly disagree with going back to school!

himydudes · 2 months ago

opalstar hi! I can't promise you I know, so if you want a really accurate answer, you would want to have a chat with a doctor. But honestly, I'd say it's safe. This is because we are still going to be social distancing even when at school... I'm pretty sure... lol. Plus, I trust that the government wouldn't allow us to go back to school if there were any huge risk. I hope I have answered your question, but it is mainly built off of my opinion, so you'll have to find some info that wasn't so biased😂! Stay safe!

linecony · 2 months ago

Oh come on Stargl that is not true!➡️ stargrl · 4 days ago

marmoty100 · 2 months ago

I said yes even though we’re pretty much still on lockdown I really want to see my mates, friends and teachers!

dyllyu · 2 months ago

I want to because everyone in my school gets an email address! #stayathome 😷😷😷😷😷

katkid10 · 2 months ago

I would love to go back to school, but my Mum (who is a keyworker) would not like me to go.

stigofthe · 2 months ago

i have got used to remote learning

sophie.w · 2 months ago

STAY SAFE EVERYONE!!!

I voted YES! I miss school a lot and I would love to see everyone there but of course it is another opportunity for the stupid virus to spread and infect millions more people. If all the children and staff did not carry out social distancing measures then my answer would definitely be NO. I believe that they would stay 2m apart and stick to all the rules.

To all of you going out and not social distancing please DON'T because you could be saving a life by not following the rules.

cupcakesxo · 2 months ago

No because I don’t want to get the virus and also you have to social distance your friends which means you can not play with them and that is the most fun part of school, seeing your friends.

cupcakesxo · 2 months ago

STay safe
Stay safe
Stay safe

lune · 2 months ago

I am very happy because now I get to see the people I miss at school. At school we have a healthier daily routine. My vote is yes!

lune · 2 months ago

#staysafe #protect the NHS #save lives

sassor · 2 months ago

Mac rings innit

sassor · 2 months ago

Sorry about that Mac rings in nit. (It wasn't me, it was a broski). I kind of want to go properly back to school.

cloudy23 · 2 months ago

I think it depends on different parts of school. The good is learning more and seeing friends, the bad might be annoying teachers or boring lessons!

samcan · 2 months ago

I don't think it's going to be over safe but I really won't to go back so I can see all my friends

redpupblup · 2 months ago

Yess love school, I really miss being there🙂

redpupblup · 2 months ago

But only when it is safe

backbender · 2 months ago

I voted yes because then I can see all my friends.... But I am not going back to school yet! My sister is but I am not! The school is only open for certain classes! Mine isn’t one of them! ❤️

mdob · 2 months ago

𝗜 𝗺𝗶𝘀𝘀 𝘀𝗰𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗹 𝗮 𝗹𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲 𝘀𝗼 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝘆 𝗶𝗳 𝘄𝗲 𝘄𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗶 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝘀𝗮𝗳𝗲 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝘀𝘁...

starblaze3 · 2 months ago

I would be happy to go back to school since the government has been doing everything they can to make schools safe. We would all be in bubbles and limit contact with others, so it would be safe. Also, I am in Year 6, so this is my last year at primary school. I would like to go to school to say goodbye to all my teachers and friends. ☹️ As well as this, going to school would be more fun than staying at home.

oceangirl · 2 months ago

I think I would be, but school wouldn’t be the same at all, and it would have a totally different atmosphere. I also think we still haven’t beaten COVID-19, so I’m not sure it would be safe. However, overall, I think I would be happy to go back to school!

737rocks · 2 months ago

School is such a great thing - I want to get back as soon as possible!
It's important it's safe of course , but you know....

beabopper · 2 months ago

i think that i'm happy to because there will be more help at school and the teahcers explane things out and they know what they're doing and they always draw or explane it out well so that we understand, i also really miss seeing my friends.

dingbat202 · 2 months ago

hi i don't never wanna go back 2 school but am desperate 2 return 2 sport

dingbat202 · 2 months ago

hi

lindawalla · 2 months ago

Yes, I get to see all my friends, I get to work without my irritating little brother, ...etc...etc...etc

sunnysmilz · 2 months ago

it's so not fair. my school isn't open to me. #not fair

xkruger · 2 months ago

has anyone else been In school because there parents are key workers?

flodo · 2 months ago

I love school and will be pleased to go back

superpug27 · 2 months ago

I see lots of other First News users are saying that we haven’t beaten the virus and that we should stay indoors for longer. This action of going back to school isn’t simply just for education, it’s for mental health. Lots of schools have opened just because some of their students have been so bored and tired of being stuck inside all the time. Yes, I agree we haven’t completely beaten the virus. But, we will never have completely beaten the virus; Like the flu, we can’t get rid of a sort of virus or disease completely. It’s not that simple and easy to just destroy it forever. This is a very interesting debate and I enjoy reading all the opinions. :)

bamboomilk · 2 months ago

I am very happy to go back to school, I always feel safe as long as me and the people I'm with are wearing masks. But at the same time, it doesn't feel right and I just wish it could be completely normal soon.

biggestbro · 2 months ago

im not going back to school but i would be so happy to go back !!!!!!!!!

dingbat202 · 2 months ago

NNAAAYYYY

dingbat202 · 2 months ago

HHOOMMEE LLEEAARRNNIINN IISS THE BEEESSSTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dingbat202 · 2 months ago

my parents = bbest teachers i ever had

(=2xas good as my teacher

musiclovr · 2 months ago

It's really nice to see friends but its also quite hard to get back into routine.

sloth-love · 2 months ago

My school has quite a lot of open space and (a reasonably) small number of pupils.
I really want to go back to school as I find working at home difficult. As I am in year 6, I am very lucky to be one of the years going back. However, our school couldn't except us back on the 1st. Thankfully, they have said we can go back on this Monday (22nd), which I am very exited for.

I want to say thanks to all the teachers working at the moment. Keep up your good work!

billiboi · 2 months ago

Of course👍👍!! #Lockdownlife is finally not boring anymore!!

unicornj1 · 2 months ago

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss I’m in school 🏫 again it has been 3 long months

sarah.m · 2 months ago

I am happy and I want to share thsi quote of mine to the world:

you dont realize what you have until you dont have it.

This means that :
you know how before everyone said that they wished there was no such thing as school? well, now that wd dont have it, we realize that school isnt like that. without our friends we are bored sick at home and may faint of bing inside for too long.

rainbow9 · 2 months ago

My school has made the decision that all pupils in years 2-5 will also be going back. I am very happy!

pizza9910 · 2 months ago

peebi0412 · 2 months ago

I feel that with the threat of a second wave of coronavirus over the horizon, it is still NOT safe to go to school and I would feel much more comfortable at home.

lunagrang · 1 month ago

✌︎'ω'✌︎

purplepug · 1 month ago

YES Because i really need to see my friends

purplepug · 1 month ago

: ]

codonnell · 1 month ago

I am happy to go back to school but it might be a bit weird and a lot different

jedboi · 1 month ago

JEDBOI DONT LIKE SCHOOL

amebra · 1 month ago

I agree with peebi0412 though it would be nice to see our friends for a bit IN school!!!

amebra · 1 month ago

even though I get to go in anyway as a key workers child

rena0405 · 1 month ago

Im kind of ok as it is different but I get to see all my friends :-)

lollipop33 · 4 weeks ago

I can't WAIT for schools returning! I'm in Year 7, going into Year 8 so I haven't been able to go back. But I am happy as I only have 1 more year until I get to choose my GCSEs. (Most schools choose at Year 9 but mine does Year 8)

ivansp2011 · 2 days ago

I would go because when I was in lockdown,the lessons took me from 1-2 hours.Also,there lessons were easier than in school and there are less subjects.Finally, I would like to see my friends again.