First News Live! - The weekly newspaper for young people

Are you worried about climate change or positive that we’ll beat it?

9th August 2019

IF you thought it was hot last month, you’d be right – because it was the Earth’s hottest ever recorded month.

It was confirmed on Monday that July was slightly hotter globally than July 2016, which was the previous warmest month since records began in 1880.

We’ve also just had the warmest June on record, and all months so far in 2019 are in the top four for that month.

“With continued greenhouse gas emissions and the resulting impact on global temperatures, records will continue to be broken in the future,” said Jean-Noël Thépaut, Head of the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S), which revealed the news.

While lots of people, especially the younger generation (that’s you!), are worried about stories like this, changes are finally starting to be made. For instance, many organisations are starting to take their money out of fossil fuel companies, and investing it in greener businesses.

The recent youth strikes have also forced politicians to take notice, as they know the climate will be the number one priority in elections when you’re old enough to vote in a few years.

Instead of sitting back and letting things happen, there are lots of things you can do to help. You can keep protesting and writing to your MP to demand they make the climate a priority, make fewer car journeys and cycle more, and fly less.

For more ideas and to take our Wonderful World pledge, see first.news/wonderfulworld

Are you worried about climate change or positive that we’ll beat it?

pandaworld · 2 months ago

Of course I'm worried! It could be dangerous to all living human species!

5honypony · 2 months ago

First to comment!

5honypony · 2 months ago

Also, I am very worried about climate change. Someone I know told me that in 18 months, the effect climate change has on our planet will be permanent. Think about it. We only have 18 months to make it right. So everyone out there looking at this comment, try hard to make a difference. Even if it is a little change, like buying something without plastic, it can make a difference.

hstrats16 · 2 months ago

I think we will beat it because recently governments have used renewable energy more often and we are using electricity more sparingly

3dgar · 2 months ago

I have seen changes like plastic straws to paper straws but there is still more to be done.

i.q.t.pup · 2 months ago

No one is taking it seriously this is our future it’s in our hands

i.q.t.pup · 2 months ago

🐬=😵

THIS is what WILL happen

asbml · 2 months ago

I'm really worried about climate change but that still doesn't mean I'm not hoping we can beat it.
Though if we are positive that we will beat climate change then that means we're worried about it so there really should be a third vote, 'both'.

ameliau · 2 months ago

First to comment but anyway i think as a country we will be able to beat it together as a team! #goworld

acadieboy · 2 months ago

first to comment

katiepie · 2 months ago

i am sooo worried about this

bookworma · 2 months ago

i am so worried can someone do something to save our beautiful planet!!!!!

bookworma · 2 months ago

first to comment! i only got newspaper this morning! the picture above is the same as the front page!

bookworma · 2 months ago

hello?

bookworma · 2 months ago

help! our world is going to MELT like an ice cream!!!!

bookworma · 2 months ago

help.

rosyrabbit · 2 months ago

I'm really worried about climate change, and I really hope we beat it. But I'm not sure that will happen because there are people like Trump who are just denying that it even exist which is NOT the case unfortunately

rosyrabbit · 2 months ago

Also
FIRST TO COMMENT!!!
save the planet people

spohie123 · 2 months ago

I’m feeling worried because when we broke the record for hottest day it was hotter outside than it was in the house and I did not feel happy with the heat in the house . It was also bad for me that day because my family went camping

sinister50 · 2 months ago

I know we can beat it, but its whether those who are supposedly our role models, decide to be serious about it.

hawkeye1 · 2 months ago

I know that we can beat climate change it we all do something to help like use less plastic and we can save the planet and our earth before it's too late

hhf08 · 2 months ago

I don’t think we will ever tackle climate change if Boris is prime minister. Some people might think we are changing things but if we don’t want climate change to happen then just stop using plastic

lordsh1p24 · 2 months ago

A lot of people are protesting, and the main politicians know, but they’re barely taking any notice of them!
(Some of them)

gwenrat · 2 months ago

I’m worried but I’m a Christian so I know that god will help us. 😎🤩😀😃😄😁😆😊☺️🤣😂😅😇🙂🙃😉😌😙😗😘🥰😍😚😋😛😝😝😜😎 we need to protect our planet 🌍 🌎 🌏

catheaven · 2 months ago

There are so many people who don’t walk to School they drive, and it would make a big difference if everyone walked.

thehkh · 2 months ago

I think if we all work together we will beat it but, if we stop worrying about it then we will never beat it.

9dolphin · 2 months ago

Obviously I’m worried! The little things like paper straws and wooden cutlery help but until we stop using fossil fuels the world is never going to be safe.

weasley09 · 2 months ago

The earth is dying!

junior19 · 2 months ago

If it happened before in 1840 we can beat it again

sao · 2 months ago

I think that if we work together as a world we can beat it

sao · 2 months ago

We need to prevent the extinction of animals

🐵🐺🐶🐱🦁🐯🦒🦊🐮🐷🐹🐭🐗🐰🐻🐨🦓🐸🐼🐴🦄🐔🐈🐎🐄🐑🐫🐀🐿🐢🦕🦖🐍🦎🦔🐘🐐🐖🐂🐅🐒🦌🦍🐕🐆🐃🐏🐪🐁🐇🐊🐉🦕🦖🦈

and of course us

👪👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👧👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👦👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👧👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👨‍👧👨‍👩‍👦‍👦👨‍👩‍👦👨‍👩‍👧👨‍👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👧👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👧👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👦👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👧👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👧👨‍

sao · 2 months ago

5honypony you are not the first to comment

sao · 2 months ago

This our future in our hands. If we work together as a world we can prevent climate change

amazeballs · 2 months ago

I think that climate change is a problem but a lot of people are saying that the world will end and the human race will die in 20 years due to climate change. I do think it will happen at one point, but not for a few hundred years.

amazeballs · 2 months ago

Lots of people are trying to make a change on climate change but the government haven’t taken much notice and until then i don’t think there will be a major improvement of climate change

sambrophy · 2 months ago

I am worried because politicians aren't responding to climate change now, so I don't think they will do anything later than this point.

meadwaym · 2 months ago

Everyone needs to make a small difference each day which will amount to a big difference e.g. picking a plastic bottle off the floor(!) and putting it in the bin.
Small difference big impact x

papaya · 2 months ago

I am worried because not enough is being done

patimus · 2 months ago

There are so many people who still don't believe in climate change and we need to work together to save our planet!

cookie2121 · 2 months ago

I'm not worried. I'm petrified. It's so dangerous to all species on Earth! I wish everyone would understand how serious this is. I wish I could do something more than just hope.😬

1world · 2 months ago

Here i do not just speak on my behalf, but on the behalf of thousands protesting to save their future, we can turn the situation around, but only if we actully try. Just because there are people in the world who don't believe in Climate Change, that shouldn't stop us, we need to fight, not to try to change world leaders minds, because they will not listen, we need to do the work ourselves, after all this is our future, not the adults future, so all of us who believe in climate change need to work together to produce a world fit for not just us, but for all generations to follow, this is not a small thing, this is the world.

theweasel · 2 months ago

I really want to say that I think we'll beat it, but right now world leaders just aren't doing enough.

unicorn196 · 2 months ago

I am really worried because if we do not take action now, it will be too late to save the planet!

I am really worried because it we do not take action now, the time will run out to save the planet!

I am really worried because it we do not take action now,the time will run out to save the planet!

crystalx27 · 2 months ago

I am worried but I voted We'll beat it because just look at how much we young people have changed already! We are getting important people's attention and we are raising awareness about our future a lot more. I think we can do this :)

rollersk8t · 2 months ago

This is our planet and we are the ones that are ruining it! People are saying that they help climate change but it is too late! We cannot solve climate change if no one is doing anything about it.

chubbypig1 · 2 months ago

Being positive might just be the only way to beat climate change...

earthling. · 2 months ago

McDonald's switching to paper straws that aren't even recyclable anyway isn't going to make a difference. World leaders need to work together to ensure that safety and protection of our planet. I believe that soon if we haven't already, we will pass the point where we can't beat it. People need to stop sticking their heads in the sand and come to their senses and do something about it.

unicorn07 · 2 months ago

WE NEED TOO MAKE A DIFERENCe

dynamaniac · 2 months ago

I think its going to happen anyway we are just making it happen quicker

emily2009 · 2 months ago

I’m not worried I’m really worried

asbml · 2 months ago

Do you know why we're not beating Climate Change? Because people like Boris Johnson all care about BREXIT BREXIT BREXIT and why can't we just vote again and then do what's been voted most?

heh · 2 months ago

I'm very worried! If all of us thought that we would beat it then nobody would be doing anything!!!

pig101 · 2 months ago

😒 adult are destroying are futurw

12ah · 1 month ago

Youth strike for climate 20th of September, take part and make a difference!

12ah · 1 month ago

I agree with earthling 🌏🌍🌎🌏🌍🌎🌎🌍🌏🌏🌍🌍🌎🌍🌏🌏🌏🌍🌎

Inventor22 · 1 month ago

I am quite worried for most of moment , especially as Boris and trump are not doing much.
Although I think EVERYONE WILL HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE when electric cars become ore popular.
I agree with 3dgar , hawkeye1 , sinster 50 : more NEEDS to be done , leaders NEED to react and change !!
Also , people and government need to think bout petrol & desal
I think India is going to help by not allowing petrol cars to be made ,sold and I think boat carried to India by 2030.. .....
It will be illegal !!!
Help save our planet

catnat · 1 month ago

I'm really worried about the climate as everyone is talking about it but not doing much about it. We can't just rely on politics, it's us that need to make a change .

kinsparke9 · 1 month ago

A lot of people on here are getting the Climate Crisis and plastic pollution mixed up. If you buy a reusable bottle, it won't help stop climate change. Both issues are very important but it's important to be able to distinguish the two. I help to organise my local Fridays For Future group and I think the youth climate movement is definitely making a difference. I wasn't sure which way to vote; I'm really worried but I think we can beat the Climate Crisis if we work together.

kinsparke9 · 1 month ago

Here are some interesting facts:

The UK Government's current carbon emissions reduction target of net zero emissions by 2050 compared to 1990 levels only has a 50/50 chance of keeping warming within 1.5°C

The government has increased VAT on solar panels to 20% whilst fossil fuels are still subsidised by millions of pounds.
😡🌎
Tell the government they need to take (positive) action! Join a youth strike on September 20th! https://ukscn.org/events/

dancestar4 · 1 month ago

I am very very VERY worried because people keep polluting : (

oceangirl · 1 month ago

I’m very worried!

rainlover · 1 month ago

If we try hard we may beat it

florrieflo · 2 weeks ago

I haave seen changes like plastic to paper or to metal EVERYBODY has to be a VSCO girl save the turtles sksksk

hermionemw · 2 weeks ago

Although there are many people who work very hard to beat it, it's just not possible if every single person doesn't help are quite a lot of people think global warming is fiction. The Earth will never survive like this.

dab123 · 2 weeks ago

i agree sao

lottielove · 6 days ago

I'm very worried about climate change because it is gradually getting hotter and hotter where I live and it makes crops too dry and stuff.

×