First News Live! - The weekly newspaper for young people

Are you worried about climate change or positive that we’ll beat it?

9th August 2019

IF you thought it was hot last month, you’d be right – because it was the Earth’s hottest ever recorded month.

It was confirmed on Monday that July was slightly hotter globally than July 2016, which was the previous warmest month since records began in 1880.

We’ve also just had the warmest June on record, and all months so far in 2019 are in the top four for that month.

“With continued greenhouse gas emissions and the resulting impact on global temperatures, records will continue to be broken in the future,” said Jean-Noël Thépaut, Head of the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S), which revealed the news.

While lots of people, especially the younger generation (that’s you!), are worried about stories like this, changes are finally starting to be made. For instance, many organisations are starting to take their money out of fossil fuel companies, and investing it in greener businesses.

The recent youth strikes have also forced politicians to take notice, as they know the climate will be the number one priority in elections when you’re old enough to vote in a few years.

Instead of sitting back and letting things happen, there are lots of things you can do to help. You can keep protesting and writing to your MP to demand they make the climate a priority, make fewer car journeys and cycle more, and fly less.

For more ideas and to take our Wonderful World pledge, see first.news/wonderfulworld

Are you worried about climate change or positive that we’ll beat it?

pandaworld · 2 weeks ago

Of course I'm worried! It could be dangerous to all living human species!

5honypony · 2 weeks ago

First to comment!

5honypony · 2 weeks ago

Also, I am very worried about climate change. Someone I know told me that in 18 months, the effect climate change has on our planet will be permanent. Think about it. We only have 18 months to make it right. So everyone out there looking at this comment, try hard to make a difference. Even if it is a little change, like buying something without plastic, it can make a difference.

hstrats16 · 2 weeks ago

I think we will beat it because recently governments have used renewable energy more often and we are using electricity more sparingly

3dgar · 2 weeks ago

I have seen changes like plastic straws to paper straws but there is still more to be done.

i.q.t.pup · 2 weeks ago

No one is taking it seriously this is our future it’s in our hands

i.q.t.pup · 2 weeks ago

🐬=😵

THIS is what WILL happen

asbml · 2 weeks ago

I'm really worried about climate change but that still doesn't mean I'm not hoping we can beat it.
Though if we are positive that we will beat climate change then that means we're worried about it so there really should be a third vote, 'both'.

ameliau · 2 weeks ago

First to comment but anyway i think as a country we will be able to beat it together as a team! #goworld

acadieboy · 2 weeks ago

first to comment

katiepie · 2 weeks ago

i am sooo worried about this

bookworma · 2 weeks ago

i am so worried can someone do something to save our beautiful planet!!!!!

bookworma · 2 weeks ago

first to comment! i only got newspaper this morning! the picture above is the same as the front page!

bookworma · 2 weeks ago

hello?

bookworma · 2 weeks ago

help! our world is going to MELT like an ice cream!!!!

bookworma · 2 weeks ago

help.

rosyrabbit · 2 weeks ago

I'm really worried about climate change, and I really hope we beat it. But I'm not sure that will happen because there are people like Trump who are just denying that it even exist which is NOT the case unfortunately

rosyrabbit · 2 weeks ago

Also
FIRST TO COMMENT!!!
save the planet people

spohie123 · 2 weeks ago

I’m feeling worried because when we broke the record for hottest day it was hotter outside than it was in the house and I did not feel happy with the heat in the house . It was also bad for me that day because my family went camping

sinister50 · 2 weeks ago

I know we can beat it, but its whether those who are supposedly our role models, decide to be serious about it.

hawkeye1 · 2 weeks ago

I know that we can beat climate change it we all do something to help like use less plastic and we can save the planet and our earth before it's too late

hhf08 · 2 weeks ago

I don’t think we will ever tackle climate change if Boris is prime minister. Some people might think we are changing things but if we don’t want climate change to happen then just stop using plastic

lordsh1p24 · 2 weeks ago

A lot of people are protesting, and the main politicians know, but they’re barely taking any notice of them!
(Some of them)

gwenrat · 2 weeks ago

I’m worried but I’m a Christian so I know that god will help us. 😎🤩😀😃😄😁😆😊☺️🤣😂😅😇🙂🙃😉😌😙😗😘🥰😍😚😋😛😝😝😜😎 we need to protect our planet 🌍 🌎 🌏

catheaven · 2 weeks ago

There are so many people who don’t walk to School they drive, and it would make a big difference if everyone walked.

thehkh · 2 weeks ago

I think if we all work together we will beat it but, if we stop worrying about it then we will never beat it.

9dolphin · 2 weeks ago

Obviously I’m worried! The little things like paper straws and wooden cutlery help but until we stop using fossil fuels the world is never going to be safe.

weasley09 · 2 weeks ago

The earth is dying!

junior19 · 2 weeks ago

If it happened before in 1840 we can beat it again

sao · 1 week ago

I think that if we work together as a world we can beat it

sao · 1 week ago

We need to prevent the extinction of animals

🐵🐺🐶🐱🦁🐯🦒🦊🐮🐷🐹🐭🐗🐰🐻🐨🦓🐸🐼🐴🦄🐔🐈🐎🐄🐑🐫🐀🐿🐢🦕🦖🐍🦎🦔🐘🐐🐖🐂🐅🐒🦌🦍🐕🐆🐃🐏🐪🐁🐇🐊🐉🦕🦖🦈

and of course us

👪👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👧👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👦👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👧👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👨‍👧👨‍👩‍👦‍👦👨‍👩‍👦👨‍👩‍👧👨‍👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👨‍👧‍👦👩‍👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👧👩‍👧‍👧👨‍👧‍👦👨‍👧👨‍👧‍👧👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👦👩‍👧‍👦👩‍👦‍👦👩‍👩‍👧‍👧👩‍👦👩‍👩‍👧👩‍👩‍👧‍👦👨‍👨‍👦‍👦👨‍👨‍👧‍👧👨‍

sao · 1 week ago

5honypony you are not the first to comment

sao · 1 week ago

This our future in our hands. If we work together as a world we can prevent climate change

amazeballs · 1 week ago

I think that climate change is a problem but a lot of people are saying that the world will end and the human race will die in 20 years due to climate change. I do think it will happen at one point, but not for a few hundred years.

amazeballs · 1 week ago

Lots of people are trying to make a change on climate change but the government haven’t taken much notice and until then i don’t think there will be a major improvement of climate change

sambrophy · 1 week ago

I am worried because politicians aren't responding to climate change now, so I don't think they will do anything later than this point.

meadwaym · 1 week ago

Everyone needs to make a small difference each day which will amount to a big difference e.g. picking a plastic bottle off the floor(!) and putting it in the bin.
Small difference big impact x

papaya · 1 week ago

I am worried because not enough is being done

patimus · 1 week ago

There are so many people who still don't believe in climate change and we need to work together to save our planet!

cookie2121 · 1 week ago

I'm not worried. I'm petrified. It's so dangerous to all species on Earth! I wish everyone would understand how serious this is. I wish I could do something more than just hope.😬

1world · 1 week ago

Here i do not just speak on my behalf, but on the behalf of thousands protesting to save their future, we can turn the situation around, but only if we actully try. Just because there are people in the world who don't believe in Climate Change, that shouldn't stop us, we need to fight, not to try to change world leaders minds, because they will not listen, we need to do the work ourselves, after all this is our future, not the adults future, so all of us who believe in climate change need to work together to produce a world fit for not just us, but for all generations to follow, this is not a small thing, this is the world.

theweasel · 1 week ago

I really want to say that I think we'll beat it, but right now world leaders just aren't doing enough.

unicorn196 · 7 days ago

I am really worried because if we do not take action now, it will be too late to save the planet!

I am really worried because it we do not take action now, the time will run out to save the planet!

I am really worried because it we do not take action now,the time will run out to save the planet!

crystalx27 · 7 days ago

I am worried but I voted We'll beat it because just look at how much we young people have changed already! We are getting important people's attention and we are raising awareness about our future a lot more. I think we can do this :)

rollersk8t · 6 days ago

This is our planet and we are the ones that are ruining it! People are saying that they help climate change but it is too late! We cannot solve climate change if no one is doing anything about it.

chubbypig1 · 5 days ago

Being positive might just be the only way to beat climate change...

earthling. · 4 days ago

McDonald's switching to paper straws that aren't even recyclable anyway isn't going to make a difference. World leaders need to work together to ensure that safety and protection of our planet. I believe that soon if we haven't already, we will pass the point where we can't beat it. People need to stop sticking their heads in the sand and come to their senses and do something about it.

unicorn07 · 3 days ago

WE NEED TOO MAKE A DIFERENCe

dynamaniac · 2 days ago

I think its going to happen anyway we are just making it happen quicker

emily2009 · 13 hours ago

I’m not worried I’m really worried

×