Should tourist flights into space go ahead?

22nd July 2021

INTEREST in space tourism is rocketing, but some scientists are concerned about the environmental impact.

Sir Richard Branson’s company Virgin Galactic is planning 400 flights a year. But there are worries about the amount of fossil fuel that will be used, and the effect the carbon released will have on the atmosphere.

Charity Oxfam International also reckons that Branson, and other billionaires, should pay more tax. Oxfam’s Deepak Xavier says: “What we need is a fair tax system that allows more investment into ending hunger and poverty, into education and healthcare, and into saving the planet from the growing climate crisis – rather than leaving it.”

Should tourist flights into space go ahead?

mrbabyyoda · 2 weeks ago

I feel like it’s a big step for man kind and should go ahead

superpug27 · 2 weeks ago

Honestly, I don’t think so. It costs a LOT of money to send a rocket into space and being stuck in a metal tub doesn’t sound like a good holiday to me. So you’re wasting thousands of pounds, maybe millions, just to fly off in a metal tube for a holiday. It’s inconsiderate and irresponsible and I think we should only go into space for professional exploration and for scientific reasons.

hami · 2 weeks ago

I don't think tourist flights should go ahead because it is not needed and it will just cause more trouble than we already have, especially climate change. There isn't much use in space tourism and it doesn't help with any problems we have.

ayyublol · 2 weeks ago

panda89 · 1 week ago

I don’t think the tourist flights should go ahead, they will be very expensive, using money that could be used more usefully and it is not helping climate change

kuhuzoo9 · 1 week ago

I think they should. I mean, it’s pretty cool to have an experience like that but maybe once climate change sorted out a bit. Maybe once the world finds its feet if u get what I mean