First News Live! - The weekly newspaper for young people

Would you be happy for your pets to donate blood?

12th July 2019

A NEW report has found that the majority of pet owners have no idea that their cats and dogs can donate blood. We definitely didn’t know it!

When a dog or cat has surgery, they’ll sometimes need a blood transfusion. This can save the lives of our pets, just as it can in humans. The thing is, that blood has to come from somewhere, and just like us, dogs and cats depend on donations from other kind creatures.

According to the report, 89% of surveyed pet owners would be happy for their dogs or cats to donate blood – but had no idea that they even could, or that pet blood banks even existed.

Of those who answered that they’d be happy for their pets to donate blood, one person said: “I am an organ and blood donor – how fantastic is it that animals can benefit from such a service? In view of the fact that my cat leads such a spoiled life, it’s the least she could do to ‘pay’ something back to such an important cause.”

What do you think?

Would you be happy for your pets to donate blood?

theweasel · 2 months ago

I would be happy to give my pet dog's blood - it has no long term effect on her and it could save another pet's life.

ventress · 2 months ago

It’s the pet’s choice-you can’t tell what they want to do!

swace · 2 months ago

I would be happy for my pets (I have 2 fish, but if I had a cat/dog/rabbit etc...) to donate blood. Although they cannot communicate with us, I am sure they would be happy to do it.

wightbike · 2 months ago

If you transfer blood from pets it would make a change which would be better :-).

sloth2008 · 2 months ago

No! I don't think we should make our pets donate blood. When humans do it, we understand it's going to hurt a bit, but they don't . It would be very stressful for them.

budgerigar · 2 months ago

Yes, because if my pet is healthy, what's to stop them giving blood to help other animals.

patimus · 2 months ago

I would be happy for my cat to donate blood if it would save the life of another animal as pets can mean a lot to people and some consider their companion to be part of the family.

9dolphin · 2 months ago

I would definitely be happy to. It could save the life of someone else’s pet and I know how much they mean to me so I would definitely be on board.

icestarz · 2 months ago

Lots of humans donate blood so if we can then surely our pets can too

rosyrabbit · 2 months ago

I didn't even know you could do that

asbml · 2 months ago

If it is going to help another animal in need then I really don't care.

peebi0412 · 2 months ago

As long as it’s the right blood group and the animal isn’t getting hurt, then I don’t mind at all! ?

dwfangirl · 2 months ago

I would be happy for my dog to give blood because it wouldn't kill her and also it will save other dogs and cats that deserve to live.

fitbit234 · 2 months ago

I think that pets should give blood because I care about animals and I think that if an animal was poorly it could be saved by an animal,[and not always saved by a human!!]#LOVE ANIMALS!

kuhuzoo9 · 2 months ago

If it helps another animal then I’m happy for my healthy dogs to donate blood.??

heh · 2 months ago

We should make a new device called a....................

............................ PET-MIND-READER!!!!!!

so you can see what your pet wants, instead of you deciding

bookpaw1 · 2 months ago

I would be happy to donate my pets blood- humans do why cant they?

bookpaw1 · 2 months ago

I would be happy to donate my pets blood- humans do why cant they?

catonclan · 2 months ago

I would be happy if I had a pet to let them give blood because if my pet was ill I know that I would be very thankful for another dogs blood to help my dog if he/she needed it.

i.q.t.pup · 2 months ago

I would not like to donate my pets blood because if I needed blood I would not like it if a got a animals blood it would just give me the weird feeling of feeling that some of my blood is a pets som

#NOBLOOD

daisy101 · 2 months ago

I would be happy for my pet to donate blood to save another pets life.

sinister50 · 2 months ago

If giving blood could save another pets life, I would definitely be happy to. After all it would mean that the owner could spend more time with their loved pet.

doglover32 · 2 months ago

yes because it’s like how we give blood to help other people, instead the pets are doing it to help there species. i know 3 dogs that give blood!

unicornca · 2 months ago

I DON'T KNOW. If i had a dog or cat (I only have fish) I would want to save another pet's life but the pet that had donated would have lost some blood.

twig · 2 months ago

Id be too worried in case something bad happened to them

ameliau · 2 months ago

I am very happy for my Pet to give blood as long as they don't give to much blood even though it would save another pets life. #petsforever

rights123 · 2 months ago

I think yes it should be aloud to donate blood because that dog could be saving another dog's life. What happened if it was your dog who needed blood you would want a dog to donate blood right? #savelives

lol123 · 2 months ago

I wold be very happy for my pet (I haven’t got one but I will soon) to donate blood as could save another pets life and the pets owner will be very glad

purplebook · 2 months ago

As long as it does not do them any harm I am really happy to let my pets save other animals lives .
🐰🐰😘🐶🐱

emily2009 · 1 month ago

I don’t mind because it will save another animals life-if my pet was low on blood Nd needed it I waould say no,if my pet is fine and it’s health is great I will accept it

5honypony · 3 days ago

Yes and no. More no, though. I would be worried sick about my dog giving blood however it may save other pets lives. I would only let her donate blood if it was guaranteed she will be in good health afterwards

×