First News Live! - The weekly newspaper for young people

Is an “enrichment week” a good idea?

6th July 2018

TAKING holidays during term-time causes one of the biggest arguments between schools and parents, but one school in Essex has come up with a way to solve the problem.

From next year, Woodlands School in Basildon is offering pupils the chance to go on holiday during an “enrichment week” between 15-19 July. Parents will have to say whether the trip’s purpose is spiritual, moral, social or cultural, and what the planned activities are.

Pupils will have to fill in an “enrichment booklet” to show what they have learned, but any pupils who don’t go on holiday will still have to go to school as normal for the week. Most breaks are more expensive during school holidays, which is why many parents can only afford to go during term time. However, schools can now fine parents for taking their children out of school for holidays.

Exploring other cultures is one of the ways that pupils could get a week off school – but is an “enrichment week” a good idea?

Is an “enrichment week” a good idea?

tunafish · 2 weeks ago

First to comment

tunafish · 2 weeks ago

I think this is a brilliant idea as it will allow everyone to go on holiday and still learn whilst they’re there

mrsquash · 2 weeks ago

No because parents will have to pay for these holidays and the children will feel alone if they don't or can't go

catonclan · 2 weeks ago

I am mainly for this because this means that children who have parents that are unable to a ford a educational holiday during main stream holiday will be able to learn in a free way. The pupils will also be able to go to a educational site without the school pressure. This would also give teachers a chance to plan lessons for the rest of the term however schools must have these weeks at different times other wise it may rise prices like a half term. Schools must also do free learning for the pupils who can not go otherwise they may feel left out on the opportunity. The parents to of given proof of where they were going to stop lying.

catonclan · 2 weeks ago

By the way you don't have to read all of it.

cal44 · 2 weeks ago

I think yes because you would need a holiday about every year (thats what my family does)

darjap · 2 weeks ago

I don't agree as this may cause problems since those who have enough money will have a holiday with fun learning activities whereas those who cannot afford it will still learn in school.

plane · 2 weeks ago

Yes because children will learn more and therefore will be intelligent

kitten · 2 weeks ago

I love the idea of enrichment week, because parents can choose, and it gives us a break from schoolwork. Hope the government agrees!!!!!!!! 😊

123kittens · 2 weeks ago

To be honest, I think tat this sounds quite appetising and enjoyable for anyone who wants to do it. The idea of learning but going on holiday sounds fun!
On the other hand, I would rather go on normal school trips which we have anyway or on holiday with my family.

gardenia · 2 weeks ago

I do think it is a great idea to have enrichment week because you get to experience a wonderful time and learn a lot more.

aim123 · 2 weeks ago

It is not a good idea as it would be unfair if some kids got to have a holiday and others didn't.

rollersk8t · 2 weeks ago

enrichment week is not a good idea because the children of that school will miss out on a lot of learning that they were meant to cover in that week!

apple92 · 2 weeks ago

I think an enrichment week is a good idea because it’s good for the kids at school

izzy28 · 2 weeks ago

I think no as one, i dont think is fair if you have to be fined as its your school work not the teachers, also you might not be able to book a holiday for that week as well as that you want to choose when you have a holiday term-time or not so no!

izzy28 · 2 weeks ago

I think no so forget this idiotic idea the govermnebnt ARE taking over our l8ives

maybe6533 · 2 weeks ago

No because i like going to school and plus, you learn more in school than being on holiday and learning.
Also you do hard work in school and you have fun and learning less on holiday than in school.

maybe6533 · 2 weeks ago

Though you take a well-earned break from school.

natalija · 2 weeks ago

I don't think that enrichment week is a good idea as it is not fair that some children gt extra holidays and others don't.

boss13 · 2 weeks ago

I think this is a good idea because the parents can choose what we do. I hope they do it at my school!

gingerzulu · 2 weeks ago

I think that I am 'enrichment week' is a very good idea as going on holiday can help you to become more independent and learn important life skills as well as having fun with your friends. Also, if, for example, the holiday is to France, your French would greatly improve as you would use it in practical situations. You would also learn about different cultures and traditions.

clovell · 2 weeks ago

It is educational and it would be fun to go on a holiday without queueing

sophia6 · 2 weeks ago

I think this is a wonderful idea as children can have fun on holidays while having doing educational activities. It will also be similar to school holidays as you have to do home work about where they are so they are still learning and have to do work.

munchiepun · 2 weeks ago

Holidays are far too expensive during the school holidays. Allowing time off at other times would alolow less wealthy families to to enjoy better holidays.

fatseal · 2 weeks ago

It would benefit everyone going on holiday since children would learn. This also may stop parents bagging in a 2-week holiday for their children at home -.-

oceangirl · 2 weeks ago

Parents get to chose an educational holiday for there kids

oceangirl · 2 weeks ago

Is it free

sunglasses · 2 weeks ago

At my school we already have an enrichment week. This year it was good fun, and a break from the usual school life. I think it is a good idea as it teaches pupils stuff that they wouldn't be able to learn in the classroom, and it is a chance to get to know the people in the year better.

sunglasses · 2 weeks ago

We only went on a couple of activities and what took up most of the cost, at just over £100, was staying the night at Premier Inn.

drsethlord · 2 weeks ago

It's a good idea because it lets pupils get away from school whilst learning about the place they are in and having a fun time. It's also is nice because poorer people actually get to have a chance of experiencing a holiday. It's always beneficial too because it shows learning can take place outside of the classroom.

uglypigeon · 2 weeks ago

I think it is because it gives everyone a chance to go on a holiday.

unicorn248 · 2 weeks ago

In a way, I feel that this is a good idea for education but, on the other hand, the parents have to pay and if a pupil is unable to go on holiday would feel lonely if it was all over a single week.

xfin · 2 weeks ago

I think it is a good idea because children will be able to share things with other people especially is some children don't get to go on holiday this will give them a chance to as it will be cheaper.

dogboy10 · 2 weeks ago

My mum always says that holidays are too expensive in the summer holidays so to have a chance to go on holiday for cheaper is a great idea. Since it is to do with education it is still good for the school as well.

cozmojjss@ · 2 weeks ago

No I don't think so because it distracts students and evwone and it may cause distraction at school

cmi_hall1 · 2 weeks ago

Lots of schools where I live (Plymouth) do it already and I think it is a great idea because you can do loads of things at very reasonable prices.

bonjour · 2 weeks ago

Yes because the parents can afford to pay for the one week holiday and the children can still learn what they would be learning at school so it's a double whammy.

waterlucky · 2 weeks ago

I think No, because it's not fair for children to do something like homework on holiday. The only reason parents take children out on holidays in term-time is because its cheaper. Many parents can't afford to go on holidays in school holidays so they do it in term time.

bubbles08 · 2 weeks ago

No because if people are poor and can't afford a holiday they will be lonely and sad 😭

mimpi123 · 2 weeks ago

I think its a great idea as you learn while having fun in a place that is not your standard home and school

jammybob · 2 weeks ago

no because it's just another reason to get of school

jammybob · 2 weeks ago

i meant off

gdawwg · 2 weeks ago

Yes because at my school we have an activity week which is like an enrichment week but at school and you have the option to go on camp.

aaronmum · 2 weeks ago

I think the week is a great idea. It’s all about the cost. The government needs to control the holiday companies and not double the prices making it only accessible for the rich . Or the credit card

oritime · 2 weeks ago

It is a good idea because it will be fun for kids to learn while having a holiday.

shpee · 2 weeks ago

No. Everything is too vague and none of it sounds like it would actually help people learn anything. I mean, "spiritual, cultural, moral or social" could mean almost anything. You could go sightseeing and pass it off as """learning""" just by writing something in as booklet for maybe five minutes at the end of each day and learn nothing. Also, none of those sound all that interesting. Like, it has moral but not history? What does 'moral' even mean in this case??

chocoblock · 2 weeks ago

I don't think this is a good idea as although this can give children a chance to learn more about other cultures , the children may be affected by something like jetlag. Also, sometimes on holiday it's nice just to relax, and not worry about activities or any schoolwork.

elderly · 2 weeks ago

i think enrichment week is a great idea because it can let children go on holidays depending on what your doing on that holiday :)

elderly · 2 weeks ago

It also lets children learn whilst on holiday.

smoothlake · 2 weeks ago

I am home-schooled and find it hard to imagine not being able to go on visits every day to places like Legoland or the IWM war museum in Duxford. It's just silly that schools fine parents for taking their kids out of school! And for any Home-Educators out there, hi!

tomcat53 · 2 weeks ago

Yes because many parents can't pay for holidays during the school holiday and this will give children the opportunity to learn and have fun while away from school.

ninjahiro · 2 weeks ago

I don't think its a good idea because people should be able to do it when they want and not get fined but its nice they get a week off.

owly · 2 weeks ago

I don't think that there should be an enrichment week. Pupils have plenty of time during the holidays to go on holiday, so why miss a whole week of school? You'd be walking round town when you could be studying for exams. I know it's more expensive during the holidays, but the school could adjust the holiday time a week or two later to help the less fortunate pupils.

hpcrazy101 · 2 weeks ago

It will allow them to bond with their friends at the same time as having fun learning

sprinkle10 · 2 weeks ago

Children need to have a break during their lives whether it's exploring the world or just having some fun away from home. Especially after SATs

swace · 2 weeks ago

I don't think it is a good idea because adults who can't afford to take their children on holidays have to do school as normal. This is not at all fair for the people who can't afford, as the people who go on holiday won't be at school, and these could be peoples friends.

adhikar · 2 weeks ago

Yes because parents will have to say why they were going to go,children would have to write what they learnt and their writing would improve.Children would have also learnt something and how to explain it.

adhikar · 2 weeks ago

Yes because parents will have to say why they were going to go,children would have to write what they learnt and their writing would improve.They would also have learnt how to explain what they learned.

hptigers · 1 week ago

Because some parents cannot afford holidays in the school holiday (as they are a lot more expensive) I think this is a good idea. Not only will it be cheaper and just as fun, students will also learn on their trip.

hobbes123 · 1 week ago

yes defo man!!

woo2le · 1 week ago

I think it is good!😀

fly · 1 week ago

I'm not sure because I know some kinds can not afford it but then I don't want others to miss out on the amazing opportunity

sisi · 1 week ago

It's a good opportunity as whilst pupils are on holiday and enjoying themselves, having fun, they will be learning new, different things that they might not be able to study in the environment at school.

lavender08 · 1 week ago

YES!!! You can still learn while you are on holiday. It's one thing to read about a country in a book, another to see it in real life.

Dohvinci · 1 week ago

yes because it lets children learn more about other cultures in different countries,instead of sitting in a hot classroom all day, and spend more time with their families.

irock122 · 1 week ago

I think that it's a good idea as kids that age need time to relax as they do lots of hard work. Also trips are fun.

bobfm · 1 week ago

No! At home you do not get the same structure as at school and children could get lazy! I could understand having a tutor but not extra homework

donutlove · 1 week ago

no its not cos this isnt fair for everyone else and you dont then know how the work got done if youre a teacher, and pupils can then just cheat.

drummercmd · 1 week ago

No, I don't think that it's a good idea personally, as left behind people still have to go to school. I think this because when it comes to holidays, like First News said, some people can't afford it, so no.

pizza2727 · 1 week ago

No because you should spend more time in school and learn

pizza2727 · 1 week ago

No because you should spend more time in school and learn

galactic12 · 6 days ago

I think it is alright to go for less then a week but you do get really tired in July near the end of school so maybe you could go for a bit longer near the end of school.I think you must also have permission and be able to start your holiday a maximum 5 days early.

fox64 · 6 days ago

Yes, but it may cost lots.

rinlen432 · 6 days ago

Children can learn from going to different places and also some people might say that "The purpose of school is to learn, not to have fun all the time." But actually, you are learning because enrichment week is supposed to be a week when you go to another place and you learn something new and you can share your new information with your friends.

kitten26 · 5 days ago

Why? Who had this idea? Why would parents fork out to let your family have an educational holiday???? COME ON!!!!!

papa435 · 5 days ago

yes because you are still learning about things because you are learning about new cultures

ravenclaw1 · 4 days ago

I say yes because it will be a chance to learn and also have fun.

radha1 · 2 days ago

Definitely a great idea - but maybe it should be an organised week of structured activities by the school (so parents do not have to be concerned about childcare ) its not a holiday - Its PURPOSEFUL and MEANINGFUL!!

x