Do you think an Instagram app for kids is a good idea?

24th March 2021

FACEBOOK is building a version of Instagram especially for children.

The social media giant is creating a version of its photo sharing platform, designed for those under 13 years of age. At the moment, you must be 13 or older to use Instagram.

Facebook’s Joe Osborne said the company is working on building products that are suitable for kids to use safely, but managed by parents.

However, Amnesty International said that “social media companies have a responsibility to protect children and young people online, but building a separate version of their platforms is not the answer.”

Do you think an Instagram app for kids is a good idea?

mothstar · 6 months ago

definitely not because someone might fake being a kid. also think of all of the scams that would go on just like on twitter and facebook. it is bad enough on tiktok. (i think thats how you spell it).

historygal · 6 months ago

I think it matters on how it is done rather than the actual idea because it could be good or terrible in exicution

bookworm66 · 6 months ago

I think that it is a good idea but maybe just for 6-10 year olds as 11/12 year olds might find the controls limiting. Sometimes controls limit you too much and limits you for doing the things you want to use the app for. But I think it is a good idea for younger kids.

scarlet10 · 6 months ago

This would be fun because you can share photos and see photos that are suitable for your age !:)

opalbarnet · 6 months ago

i think it might damage kids mental health to have other people writing about their appearance

tsait · 6 months ago

i think it is a GREAT idea considering children can interact with others and take responsibility into teir own hands

tsait · 6 months ago

***their own hands...

tsait · 6 months ago

also...
#FIRST2COMMENT

ellabeegee · 6 months ago

Yes I do because many kids want or have Instagram and it’s not good. They need an alternative

hyprstr · 6 months ago

Social media can be really destructive and it’s horrible that big companies want to foist this on even younger kids.

kittymoi · 6 months ago

We children need Instagram so we can keep it touch

cuddle3 · 6 months ago

I think it's a bad idea because children will bully each other and adults might go on it and trick people. I can see the good points of it so it was hard to vote. I voted No.

cybercy · 6 months ago

i think so so people can post stuff and make views an ya know just post things for help and stuff

koksmaster · 6 months ago

I think it is a good idea because kids can go on social media but at the same time be safe.

nim-pom · 6 months ago

No, it's a bad idea. Although the app will supposedly be managed by parents, the child will still be able to see every single part of the app when they are using it. Unfortunately, "bad" people will still be able to go on the app and spread negativity, e.g. fake news and inappropriate messages/photos/videos (unless there is a ban on them). My answer may change if the products that enable the children's online safety on the app are revealed.

ivansp2011 · 6 months ago

I do not think it is a good idea because people will then stay more in phones and becomemore addicted

butterfly- · 6 months ago

I don’t really think this is a good idea, because I think no matter how safe this would be, it revolves around the same idea of ‘social media’ and basically encourages children to engage in proper social media when they’re older. I think there would be a plenty of other ways to do things.

edpl · 6 months ago

Yes it could help people soscialise during lockdown

sparkle29 · 6 months ago

I think it is great idea to have Instagram for kids as it's kind of preparing kids for the real Instagram.

cloudy23 · 6 months ago

I've been talking to my parents about getting Insta, and I think a child-suitable version of the app a wonderful way to keep kids safe without them missing things.

omangion · 6 months ago

I personally think that it is a good idea to make an Instagram app just for children, which is managed by parents, as it will not be showing rude comments that might be posted. Also, parents might be able to hide posts that are not right before the child looks at it.

ansha007 · 6 months ago

It is a good idea, because, then kids would also be able to experience how Instagram is like! so....AWESOME IDEA

ansha007 · 6 months ago

I agree with another comment too, this could help children socialise during lockdown

cr1cket1 · 6 months ago

No, because you have already got Tiktok and YouTube and I don't know why you need any more! I put NO!!

ansha007 · 6 months ago

many people think it is a good idea

ansha007 · 6 months ago

I'm with Kittymol

ansha007 · 6 months ago

In this horrible time, it is important to meet up with family and friends, so an Instagram for kids would be a good idea, then children can interact and get to know each other more.

weirdcat · 6 months ago

It depends on how safe it actually is i think....

sushirat1 · 6 months ago

This will just make kids addicted to phones too!
It is bad enough teens but growing kids?!
Nuh uh!
Anyway, how will they make it totally safe?!
What ever they do,it could still be unsafe!

dottypop1 · 6 months ago

It would be a bad idea to make a Instagram for children because apps like Tiktok and them have allzorts of people on them and it is hard to manege who is on and what age they ar a 30 Year old
Could say that are 10 years old wen they are not then enything coold happen.

katkid10 · 6 months ago

I have NO IDEA! I don't have a phone, but I think BAD IDEA FAKEBOOK, yes Fakebook.

jedorjok21 · 6 months ago

Why would people intentionally want kids to use platforms that just cause depression and anxiety

jedorjok21 · 6 months ago

I think it is a terrible idea

opalstar · 6 months ago

I don't think it's a good idea because nowadays I think children like myself are on social media too much and can't enjoy the actual world, being drawn to their screens. It will just encourage children to be online more so, I think no, when phones not needed, enjoy real life.

opalstar · 6 months ago

Plus it's not safe and aren't kids on their phones too much now anyway! We're building a generation not needed.

cat55 · 6 months ago

I don't know. Maybe making a kids version is a bad idea because there could be tons of scams and some kids might post mean things or bully eachother online. And, somebody could go on it and pretend to be a kid but actually they are just being mean to people on it.

dadoo · 5 months ago

I think it will be good but there should be parental command and access so you can only get it if you have parental allowance because they know if you can spot a scam or what to do when someone’s cyber bullying you. It would also be good 😄 for socialising and sort of like a pen pal 📝

dadoo · 5 months ago

Also it would be like 👍🏽 a big group chat 💬😄😄😃😃 and there should be a block of rude words

dogsaver · 5 months ago

I think it's a bad idea because kids would be checking every day if they got a like or a heart meaning they would have less time to have fun, also some people can cyber bully, and I think we shouldn't let the risk for little kids. Anyway, we already use mobile devices so much, kids don't need a 'Kidstergram!'

owlgebra · 5 months ago

I think that this app shares too much personal information and that children should not be using it as they should be outdoors more, and instagram is also not suitable for children as very rude things can be said on it.

trixx · 5 months ago

Absolutely not kids that young shouldn’t even have a phone why and how and when would they need to use one it is wrong and it will increase victims of cyber bullying, catfishers and older people taking advantage of young vulnerable children.

panda89 · 5 months ago

I think it is a good idea in theory but it wouldn’t work in practice. When ur like 10 or over you are usually smart to scammers but think of all the little kids that could be in danger because of scammers. There would be LOADS of men pretending to be kids it would be awful because of all those hackers. Every 6 year old would believe their lies.

panda89 · 5 months ago

Also people will be adddicted to their phones. All those lil kids will be obsessed teens are already bad enough

samihana · 5 months ago

Yes so it's safe for kids to chat

pinkyfox · 5 months ago

YES TIMES A MILLON

milkpuddin · 5 months ago

Yes because it will mean kids don't use normal Instagram and can be safer online

123emperor · 5 months ago

Yes because the regular Instagram may be inappropriate or unsuitable for children’s ages and parents may not want them to see. It would be good to have a family-friendly app to have suitable content for children however mothstar is quite correct and there are scams and fakes all over the planet but parents have the responsibility to teach their children what to trust and what not to trust and to not give personal details e.t.c.

piggy9876 · 4 months ago

I think that Instagram for kids is a cool idea and would be really new. To be honest I thought PopJam was Instagram for kids, but apparently it's not. I think that if Instagram for kids was made, it would have to have something that Instagram did not have because security is just as bad on either. You would need prove you were actual child and there is no real way of doing that.

l1lysg · 4 months ago

It's a bad idea it would encourage children to get on to social media when it can be dangerous if you don't know how to use it and if you're not careful

cheetah221 · 4 months ago

I think it is bad because adults can pretend to be a kid.

ebazgo · 4 months ago

This is the reason I love Mark Zuckerburg ✌

mwhitty · 3 months ago

People can swear and scam you. Definitely not.

mwhitty · 3 weeks ago

People can say mean things on there so no