Do you spend too much time online?

20th May 2022

CHILDREN’S charity the Youth Sport Trust (YST) has warned that childhood inactivity and loneliness is close to becoming a “new pandemic”.

New research carried out by YouGov for the YST has revealed that UK parents are increasingly worried their children are growing up spending too much time online and not enough time with friends or playing sport. The findings also found that 80% of parents say that cuts to PE, sport and break times in school have a negative impact on young people’s wellbeing.

To tackle this, the YST has launched Inspiring Changemakers, Building Belonging, a long-term plan to ensure that all children grow up knowing how to balance the demands of the digital age by the year 2035. It wants every young person to learn in a healthy way what belonging really feels like, and for young people to have a positive personal identity that comes from play and sport.

So what do you think? Do you agree with the parents in the poll? Vote now and leave a comment to let us know why you chose your answer!

Do you think you spend too much time online?

ivansp2011 · 1 month ago

I believe I do, however I do not cut out time out of PE etc cetra.

sailor31 · 1 month ago

I personally don't and I think that is because I live quite rurally and also I don't have any social media

b.r. · 1 month ago

I don’t spend too much time online any more because I go to my local skatepark every night after school to practise my scooter tricks.

max1234 · 1 month ago

I have cut down my screen time, but I still think I go on too often because I often code, type essays online and I always end up with around half-an-hour screen time.

stingray1 · 1 month ago

I play on crazy games a lot which is online

fredjames · 1 month ago

This is true, however, you can make a living, so children should be more balanced with their screens, but still follow their passion.

dogcat123 · 1 month ago

I spend time online to do homework, play games from time to time and for things like first news and stuff. Other than that I don't really spend time online.

elisa2012 · 1 month ago

No, as I go online for educational reasons and I play on electronics for 1hr a week.

reuike · 1 month ago

I think I don’t because I try to be very strict about my screen time and I think I handle it pretty well.

candyapple · 1 month ago

I don't particularly, because I'm quite sensible and I prefer reading.

athenakid · 1 month ago

I myself don’t , but I think it’s a big issue for kids around my age. I think it does effect them quite a lot in negative and positive ways. The positives can still be there in smaller doses, but the negatives only appear if your spending too much time on it. So if we only had smaller doses it would help a lot.

chaem17 · 4 weeks ago

I believe I sometimes go over a bit on my screen time, but this is mainly in the weekends as the rest of the week I'm in school. However in holidays is when I really go online crazy as I have nothing else to do.

crazyslime · 4 weeks ago

I actually think I do, even if I force myself to spend a specific time on devices. I use lots of websites for school work, tasks and entertainment. Even just these take up a sizeable amount of time, but I also find myself glancing at the time, doing a quick search and things like that. However, altogether, these little things add up too.

candyapple · 2 weeks ago

I think I am quite sensible with these things. I prefer reading and watching TV anyway.

foxesrock1 · 2 weeks ago

I have a few friends who I talk to online because they live faraway, I think I probably spend to much time on a screen, and I am trying to cut down on that, but apart from that I don't do much online, I prefer to read...

dolphin26 · 2 weeks ago

Candyapple, I agree with you TOTALLY!!!!

max1234 · 1 week ago

I have to confess, yes. I just do too much coding and online origami!